Saturday, September 1, 2012

Goodie Bags


Last Friday was a day I look forward to each year, because it was equipment pick-up time for FSU cross country season! I am so spoiled to receive a huge bag full of great clothes and shoes from Nike. Of course, what is better than the free gear is the actual races that will ensue. Right now, that's a work in progress, as I was set back a little by my stress fracture, but I am on track to make it happen this season. My last fall racing in the garnet and gold!
This morning was a great morning because I got to go pick up my first CSA bag from Orchard Pond Organics! If you are unfamiliar, CSA stands for community supported agriculture. Yep, I signed up to receive a bag of fresh produce from the Tallahassee farm every other week for this semester. Such a treat for a veggie! I felt like a kid on Christmas. It was so exciting for me to get a bag with my name on it and filled of a variety of vegetables. I can already tell that this is going to be a great learning experience about the local produce of North Florida. For example, today I have already tried my first muscadine grapes. They are so interesting. They are large grapes. With thick skins. The center is gooey, containing seeds. But my favorite part is chomping on the crunchy skin, which is sour tasting. These probably are not a fruit that will find their way into a smoothie, but will be eaten plain for now. I also got okra, mini eggplants, baby arugula, sweet potato greens (never had these), and sweet basil (Hello pesto!) in my bag today. Pretty great deal, this CSA thing is! And I also couldn’t help myself and got a gigantic watermelon from the market as well. That might indeed find its way into a smoothie or two this week.

I created this smoothie yesterday. It was not planned, but turned out to be one of my favorites.
1 cup coconut water
1 bag rooibos tea (or your favorite tea)
1 frozen banana
1 scoop Vega One, vanilla chai flavor (or use any protein powder)
3 ice cubes
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds (completely optional)
First, (I did this the night before) boil the coconut water and steep the tea bag for several minutes. Store this in the fridge, until chilled. Then, combine the tea with everything else in the blender to make the smoothie. It takes a little advance preparation, but it’s worth it, and great for recovery from a workout. The coconut water provides extra hydration, the rooibos contains antioxidants, the protein refuels muscle, the banana restores glucose (and is my favorite ingredient for creaminess), chia seeds are an endurance powerhouse, and if added, the pumpkin seeds will provide a boost of iron and other minerals.

Look out for a cinnamon-arugula smoothie and some sweet basil pesto coming later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment