Friday, June 29, 2012

I'm a writer


I always said that writing was my least favorite subject in school. I was much more interested in science and loathed essay assignments. Even with the GRE test I have coming up this summer, the part I am dreading the most is the writing portion (2 essays and only 30 minutes for each!). Yet, here I am writing a blog…
Wait, I’m a writer? You see, one thing I have slowly learned is that writing is essential to everything, as it is a prime form of communication (another dreaded topic of mine). College has taught me this. Albeit I have written far less papers as a science major than is required of a liberal arts student, I now realize that even scientific information has to be relayed somehow. Sure, charts and graphs can communicate a great deal, but writing is required to explain their significance to us.
What has hammered this idea home to me is a book that I am just finishing up reading called The China Study. This scientist, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, who I believe to be the most brilliant researcher in the field of nutrition, spent 30 years compiling the most compelling information about diet in relation to disease. The only reason I was able to learn all this information was because he, a person who certainly never set out to be a writer, authored a 400-page book! This book has not only opened my eyes to the tragedy of the Standard American Diet and how our government and healthcare system are failing to improve it (more on that at a later date), but it has in part, inspired me to take a new view on writing and even played a role in the beginning of my blog.
Today I found the hilliest part of my neighborhood and cruised around for about an hour, then cooled off with this:
½ of a banana
a handful of strawberries
a handful of raspberries
2 handfuls of kale
a scoop of Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer
a spoonful of maca
½ a cup of almond milk
a spoonful of raspberry-lemon Natural Vitality Calm
Red and green don’t make for the prettiest colored smoothie, but the tart berry flavor made up for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment