Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Charleston (one day and one day only!)


I arrived in Charleston on Sunday evening. My old teammate and friend from high school, Amy, put me up for 2 nights in her new apartment. On Monday morning, I left her place with a backpack and my GPS, ready for a day of exploring. This was the first time I was really on my own in a city for vacation. It was kind of exciting! First thing I did was drive to the visitor center of Charleston. I parked my car there and picked up a map. Then I set out on a walking tour of Charleston. I saw some historic houses, churches, the waterfront. I walked down the 2 streets with the most shopping. There were so many stores! I mostly just looked, but went inside a few. Now, I always have said that one day I would splurge and spend money on Lululemon running clothes. I’ve window shopped many times, not finding any one item that I loved enough to pay the steep price for. Monday was the day I finally did it. I found some shorts that I loved. In fact, it was a tough decision narrowing down the ones I liked, but I selected one pair and got them. I was slightly nervous as I checked out, paranoid that my bank card would be rejected or something. But a few minutes later, I was walking out of the store with one of their special Lululemon tote bags that you get with a purchase. It was a day of small thrills like that. I finished walking the streets, not going in many other places because I spent all my money already. I did walk in one bakery just to enjoy the cupcake aroma for a moment and then left. I had walked pretty far by lunchtime, so I returned to my car and took to my next destination: the beach.
I arrived in Folly Beach to find it pretty busy. It was hard to find parking. I ended up paying more than I wanted to for that. I went to a café and had a pretty tasty sandwich, dining by myself is kind of fun sometimes. The rest of the afternoon I spent lying on the beach. I read a book, soaked up some rays, and swam around a bit.
That evening I met my friend Huck for dinner. He took me to a place in Charleston that I really liked called the Black Bean Co. If you ever find yourself in the city, check it out for some great wraps. At this point I was pretty tired. That was a long day for me, but I covered the area pretty well in 12 hours. This morning I headed back to Decatur. Just 10 days til I return to Tallahassee! And I’m really excited to get back to my friends there and start school again.

No comments:

Post a Comment